Tuesday, September 25, 2007

What Will Happen Next

Well, I am glad that I didn't buy a new truck. They wouldn't give me what I wanted for my 2002 Ram 2500 diesel. They offered me about $4000 less than what I owed. So, I took this as a sign to keep what I had. It is amazing how nice the sales people can be until you say their offer is too low. So they go back and huddle again and raise their offer $200 dollars. They knew how much I owed. It just baffles me how they attempt to make you feel great, while seeing how much you want a new vehicle. I mean, how dumb do I look? Okay, I am a blonde. I will give them that. But at least I know a bad deal when I see one. I leave while I keep telling them I will be back next year.

I went back for the final time to the company doctor. I told him that the orthopedic surgeon gave me the green light to return to work. So now I have both doctors saying I can return to work. But my manager tells me over the phone I will need to take a Fit for Duty test before returning to work. Now I am concerned. He said, don't worry, We'll pay you. So I am still off and tomorrow morning is the test. I am confident I will pass the test, but what will happen next?

The test was a lot easier than I thought. I was told I did better than average on all aspects of the test. But my blood pressure was higher than normal. Stress will do that. Yeah, I'm stressed out over not being back at work! My manager will let me know more tomorrow. Hopefully I will be back to work next week. The doctor even mistook me for a Flight Attendant. He asked how my injury happened and I told him I hit my knee on a seat armrest. He countered with........"What, you had a unruly passenger?" That is when I explained I am a mechanic and we were at the hangar with no passengers on board. Wow, and I was worried?

My parents can stress me out also. I walked into their kitchen the other day and caught Dad writing checks. The bank sent them to his address and not mine. I finally convinced him to give me all the checks. Not only do I need to watch them close, but I need to watch the bank close also. For some reason, the address for the statements keeps changing also. I have never known the officers of my bank. But I know the officers in Dad's bank on a first name basis. Dad and I will be heading to Lowe's Home Center tomorrow. We will be buying him and Mom a new backdoor and frame. I have talked to my neighbor about trading his remodeling skills for my 6520 and my developing tractor skills. He needs land cleared for a pad to build his remodeling warehouse and work shop. Mom and Dad have a hand full of projects that I will gladly trade tractor seat time for a rfixed up house. Otherwise, I would be hammering on their house instead of burning diesel in my Mahindra. I will take the Mahindra over a hammer any day.

I did get the windshield question answered on Rebecca's truck. We will have to bring the truck back here for the new windshield. I called Rebecca and asked when she will be back in town. She says for Thanksgiving. I guess it is just as well to wait a while. She will probably get the new windshield chipped right after the replacement. That's how it works, right? While I was at the Dodge dealer, I picked up a new fuel filter for my truck. I know the filter replacement well enough now that the truck doesn't even miss when I crank it up for a leak check. Not only that, but I don't even spill any diesel. That's the big thing these days. I don't need to be reported to the EPA.

I did find out that my ML275 loader can lift so much weight, it will cause the Ag tires on front of my 6520 to go flat. Now I learn the Industrial tread tire will support all the weight I will ever lift, but the Ag tires are under rated for the weight my Mahindra can lift. But my Ag tires give me more ground clearance. I heard having liquid filled tires would support the weight better. So I bought an air/water adapter to fill the front tires with liquid, but that extra weight just in the front tires will put my trailer over gross weight. So now I guess I need a "new" bigger trailer to go with that Ram 3500 I need. Oh well, a girl can dream! Y'all stop back later to see if I am back to work.

hugs, Brandi



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Brandi!

I'm a long time machinery guy (25 years in CASE Construction and now Kubota Tractors) but I spent a little time in the car biz (yuk!)

I did learn however, more about selling in 2 years than in the 25 years combined ..the sales guys are really NOT out to screw you. Point ..you said they offered less than you owed, OK, here's the deal on that. What you owe has nothing to do with what your car (or truck, tractor, house, etc.) is worth. EXAMPLE: If you owed zero on your truck, would you accept zero for your trade? Of course not! Now, point 2 - did you put a minimum of 20% down when you bought your truck? If not, then you will almost always owe more than any vehicle is worth. that's the market and the curse of ZERO DOWN!

Anyway, how's the Mahindra? As a Kubota employee, I try and stay in-touch with the market --- they look really well-built. Did you know the are going to bring in some diesel-powered, fuel-efficient trucks into the US in 2009? Not thru tractor dealers but still 28-35 MPG on a truck is excellent!

Have a good one!
Craig

Brandi said...

Craig,
Thanks for the information on car trade ins. I am loving my Mahindra and have 191 hours on her now. I have read on TractorByNet that Mahindra is going to bring a diesel powered truck to the U.S. A lot of guys that have Mahindra tractors say they will by a Mahindra truck. But I haven't heard about who will become dealers for the truck market. I think a few Mahindra tractor dealers would like to sell the truck also. I would look into owning one, but I heard they too small to pull the Big Red Beast around town. Thanks for reading my blog and commenting.
hugs, Brandi