Thursday, July 17, 2008

Swimming in it





After Luke and I buried Milo, we both had two drinks. I didn't know his two drinks consisted of quadruple shots of Congac. I had two Rum and cokes and relaxed on the couch while Luke took a bath. Uh, I mean took a swim. He fell asleep with the water running in the tub. I was watching a Gene Kelley and Judy Garland movie made in 1943. After a while I realized the water had been running forever. I got up to investigate and found the hall carpet in an inch of water. The bathroom had an inch of water also, but it was falling into the floor a/c vent. I hollered from Luke to turn off the water. But he was doing a good impression of ignoring me. I finally got the water off. He dried off and disappeared to his room. I laid every towel and spare blanket I had on the water soaked carpet and started peeling the wet carpet back so I could remove the water logged carpet pad. I am glad I acted fast as the floor is particle board and was just waiting for a chance to swell. Swelling particle board floors do nasty numbers on toilet plumbing! I removed all the wet pad and placed two box fans on the floor and propped up the wet carpet as best I could. Then I left it to dry as I moved the fans and carpet around for a week. I now have $40 worth of pad and no time (it seems) to install it. So the carpet is dry with no pad and the bathroom floor is bare waiting for me to install linoleum. I had a roll of linoleum from 5 years ago when I replaced it in my bathroom. I had the foresight to buy enough for the front bathroom then, as I knew carpet is nice in a bathroom, but hard to get dry. Luke really drove that point home!



Since Milo died I have had a long suffering viral infection brewing. I took 5 days off work and blood work and even a cat scan taken. I had to drink barium sulfate suspension for the cat scan. It didn't really taste bad, but I thought it would. The surprise of the day was the cat scan technician told me I was to have an iodine injection. He added I may smell a burning in my nose, or a feeling like I peeped in my pants. Great, I have been running to the bathroom all week to prevent just that thing and now I feel it as the iodine goes in my arm. Wow! Talk about an icky feeling. You know it is bad when you call to make a doctor's appointment and the receptionist doesn't ask what is wrong, but asked........."Are we seeing you for the same thing?" That is bad. Three times in 7 days. I can't wait until I get that bill. Not to even mention the copay for the cat scan. I told a co worker what all I was feeling and she told me to ask my doctor for a prescription for nerve pills. Nerve Pills I asked? Me stressed? With all I have went through in the last three months, I might need to take pills for my nerves. But I don't want to take any pills. Just get me feeling well enough to get some seat time on the Big Red Beast.

Which I did on the 27th. But only shortly. I have been getting Dad's log slicer (Mom called it a slicer instead of a splitter and the name stuck with me), his generator, and his Troybilt tiller running to sale. The generator is running. I haven't touched the tiller yet, but I spent around 5 hours trying to get the log slicer to run for more than 4 seconds. In the past we always had to prime the engine with fuel in the spark plug hole 3 or 4 times. Then it ran, but only in full choke. We sliced firewood with the engine running in choke as long as I can remember. So I got fed up with it not running longer that a few mements and loaded it on my lawnmower trailer with the front end loader of the Big Red Beast. I have been meaning to replace the broken 2x6 loading ramp I have on the trailer with 2x10s, but haven't yet. So it is on and off the trailer with a loader or forklift. In the photo below you can see the broken ramp that doubles as a mount for the stop light bracket
So I will be taking the log slicer into Top Flight to get it running longer than I can hold my breath. Hopefully their summer rush on repairs is over and they will work on it. In the spring they get so busy getting equipment sold, they don't have time for repairs on other brands.


So the shirt I am wearing above says it all for the log slicer. "Take a hike" is what is says. It is time for the pro to get it running! I wash my hands of it. Really, taking the slicer to the dealer is just an excuse for seat time on the Big Red Beast. After loading the slicer, I took the Mahindra for a Sunday afternoon drive.



Check back later to see if I get the Troybilt tiller running, or just run over it with my 6520. Until then.................hugs, Brandi



No comments: