Sunday, November 18, 2007

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is upon us. Mom and Dad will be coming over here for turkey day dinner. Luke and Rebecca will join my ex's family at my ex Mother-in-Law's lake house up in East Texas. We will be having fried Turkey. I confess, I won't be frying it, but Popeye's Fried Chicken will be doing the greasy deed. I have all the utensils and burner to fry my own, but with working nights and just having a half of day to get some sleep and also prepare a meal, the frying job is farmed out. To me, fried turkey's white meat is not as dry as oven baked turkeys. The dark meat seems to taste a little different also. Given my choice, I will take a fried turkey over oven baked turkey any day. Dad used to smoke our turkeys in an electric smoker when I was younger, so Mom did not get to bake any oven turkeys that I can remember. One thing that bugs me is my Mom never wrote down my Grandma's corn bread stuffing recipe. I get frustrated each year trying to duplicate it, but I have not got it right yet. One year I bought blue berry corn bread mix by mistake. Now that was a different taste!

The weather was nice enough and I was rested enough to dig up a large oak stump with the Mahindra before sundown. I had thought about working the stump when I got home from night shift, but realized being sleepy and running a tractor is not wise. This stump was right in the way of the culvert I put in this summer. Up til now, I have been driving around it. Anyway, this stump had three folds that tapered down to the ground and into large feeder roots. I ripped one out and repositioned the 6520 to attack the next one. This one was stronger and larger. I got the backhoe's bucket curled under it as I noticed the whole stump lifting up. Since this tree was cut down over three years ago, I figured the tap root was rotted away. So back to the task at hand, the backhoe couldn't move after I curled the bucket under the root. It lifted the stump up just enough to have too much weight on it to uncurled the bucket. So here I was with my backhoe bucket stuck under a large root. I was already running full rpm, so I had all the power I was going to get. The only thing I could think of was to raise the stabilizers and move the tractor, while jerking the stump. I put the Big Red Beast in low 1st and gave the stump a tug. I didn't move it much, but the backhoe started to straighten out from the position I left it. So I went back to the hoe and I got the bucket uncurled and away from that backhoe eating stump. When I attacked the last large feeder root, the whole stump moved again. This time I got the best of it and the whole stump came up and over when I retracted the backhoe's dipperstick. A little loader bucket work to fill in the hole and replace the top soil and I was ready for supper. As it was almost dark, I parked the Mahindra in the barn, meaning to wash it Saturday. But I slept late on Saturday and woke up to a lazy day. I didn't leave the TV all day.

I did get a call from Rebecca Saturday afternoon. She was sobbing and saying she was at the emergency animal hospital with Puddles. Puddles is the name of her new kitty. Two days ago she had the vet give him a shot. Now he was in bad shape. Rebecca was asking between sobs what should she do. Oh my, I thought. I explained that little animals getting shots can be too weak for the shot and not recover. She was telling me the animal hospital wanted $300-500 to work on the cat. She called back and said the hospital staff wanted to put Puddles to sleep. So Rebecca has no kitty and is not wanting one anytime soon.

Work has been good. The humidity is lower and it feels better. We worked Sunday night to have off Wednesday night. So we have a 5 day weekend. But I bid two weeks vacation after Thanksgiving, so I am off for 19 days. It is Thanksgiving day now and I am taking a short break while the turkey warms up. A blue norther' came through last night and dropped the temperature about 40 degrees. Now the sky is cloudless and the temperature is climbing past 40 degrees now. Today is beautiful, but the rest of the weekend is suppose to be wet and cold. Oh well, sounds like good mall shopping weather! Rebecca came through last night on her way to her Mawmaw's lake house. It was good to see her, as it has been almost 3 months since I saw her. Luke left this morning for the lake house, wearing his Cowboy hat and boots. He will be back tonight, as he works tomorrow. He works for a family themed country clothing store, so he gets his boots and hats at a big discount. I love shopping there also, but it seems my size cloths go fast. Anyway, have a Happy Thanksgiving and check back later to hear what is going on with Booger, the Big Red Beast and I.
hugs, Brandi

No comments: