Thursday, October 25, 2007

Getting That Fall, Low Humidity Feeling

Wow, the last few days have been nice and crisp here. It has been down in the mid 30s at night and days in the upper 70s with bright sunshine. I made the mistake of putting some corn too close to the house and now the deer are trying every night to get to it. But Booger hears them with the corn this close. Every night, sometimes twice a night, Booger runs off into the woods barking. Each time, I have to go outside and call him back and give him a Scooby snack so he will leave them alone. I think I will move that corn tomorrow. Funny thing is, the squirrels usually get the corn this close, but they haven't touched it. Now that I think about it, I haven't seen many this fall. Which doesn't make much sense, as our acorn crop is very "thick" this year.



Last week, Mom and Dad's new backdoor came in. I installed it last Saturday and enjoyed getting something accomplished besides worrying about work. It was so nice outside, Dad came out and sat on the patio and talked while I worked. The door and frame fit perfect without shims, as I built the utility room it hangs from 17 years ago. I did have to cut out a little of the header, but the sides fit like a glove and had to be nudged in. I was able to get the knob and deadbolt to work smooth enough so Mom can lock and unlock them. It is hard for her to turn the knob with all of her arthritis. Sunday morning, I met my friend, Angel, at her Church. The preaching was good, but I was raised in a Baptist Church where the pastor pounds his fist on the podium from time to time. I don't remember if he was just keeping your attention or just really getting into his sermon. Anyway, I am still looking for a Church home.



I got some good advice this week. I was told to take my problem with work to an attorney. I found a medical disability/labor law attorney and got an appointment this last Tuesday morning. Her advice was to file two grievances with the Union for what the company is doing. Which was good, as I just had until Tuesday midnight to file them. Since then it seems everything is flying. Phone calls left and right from Union Reps I have never heard of. This is all good, as this is getting faster responses from management. We have a meeting next week, so I should know more then. I also found out I had a choice next year of working in the hangar on the aircraft that are scheduled for heavy maintenance like engine and gear changes, with Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday nights off or at the terminal on the aircraft parked at the gates over night with Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday nights off. I picked the hangar crew. At the terminal I would not get to work sheet metal, which is my speciality.
Yesterday I went back to Mom and Dad's to blow the leaves off of their roof and clean out the chimney for the wood stove. Today I loaded up the Big Red Beast on the trailer and took her to get air in the tires. Then I went back to Mom & Dad's house to load the wood from the tree I dug up months ago. I also brought Dad's log splitter back home so I can split wood for them at my leisure. I wanted to bring the stump home to burn it also, but it is still to heavy to load. We will have to have more fires around it at Dad's. The 6520 pushes it all around Dad's yard, but just can not lift it to load on my trailer. When enough gets burnt off of it and more dirt falls off, it will come home to my burn pile. So I need to get back over there and pick up all the fallen limbs I can and start another fire. It's a challenge to me now. It is the first thing the Big Red Beast has not picked up. I even chained it aft of the loader pivot point.
5 more days to Halloween. Luke has Blockbuster movie home mail service. Since October 1st, we have been watching scary movies every night. He is saving my all-time favorite Halloween movie, Hocus Pocus for Halloween night. But maybe I will be back at work by then. One can wish! I have added some photos. Take a look at them and stop back later to see how life is treating us.
hugs, Brandi


No comments: