Friday, February 22, 2008

15 Years

Since I had problems last fall with Southwest about getting back to work after my on the job injury, I have been leery of management. Our base manager that was in on keeping me from returning to duty has been transferred to Dallas. The night manager was promoted to assume his duties as Maintenance base manager. The other day I was standing in line to punch out and the new manager asked if I could stop by his office after I punched out. I am the type that doesn't like to wait around, so I said I could come now. So I followed him to his office, the whole time walking with him I kept thinking, what have I done now. Imagine my surprise when he didn't close his office door behind us, but instead reached behind his desk for a small box and handed it to me while extending his right hand and stating.........."Congratulations on 15 years of service"! Wow, what a relief. I knew I was doing well, but I always worry too much. Inside the box was a ladies silver wrist watch with SWA's wing logo and the words...Southwest Airlines 15 years. Also in the box was a gold plated wing shaped pin with two very small rubies. I guess we get two rubies to balance out the wings on the pin!



I started working on the back side of the barn. I hung the door track and flashing for the 10 wide door. That is when I realized the 20 from the fence to the barn wasn't enough for the Big Red Beast to fit in perpendicular to the barn and work out of the bucket. This called for some careful thought as I didn't want install the whole back side metal from a ladder. So I researched some other work platforms built on front end loader buckets while online and came up with a stable, proof tested 4x8 foot wooden work platform.



I wish I would have built the platform before I installed the siding on front, as it sure made it easier than working out of my Mahindra's 7 foot wide bucket. I can now just tilt the 6520's bucket up at full loader height to reach the top ridge of the barn, with all my tools at hand's reach. Before building the platform, I removed the 6520's exhaust stack and took it to work to install a new notch to fit the muffler. This will allow the stack to blow the exhaust away from the loader arm while at full height. Now I just need to clean the soot off of the loader arm. I hope it isn't stained into the paint!




I really enjoy being out working on my barn. Booger is always near and when he wants some attention, he makes his presence known to me. While on the wooden work platform, one of the two Red Shouldered Hawks that stay near my place came flying over just a screeching. Then he (she?) landed in a tree to look down on me and watch me, only to fly off and soar in a circle and screech some more. It truly is breath taking watching this bird of prey. I am very lucky to have them around. If only I could get a good photo of them. The camera was down in the barn on a makeshift work table. From now on I will have my camera with me while outside working.


I didn't get to work on the barn this last weekend. I was in Mesquite, Texas for the Texas State Rifle Association's annual meeting and awards banquet. I was informed the first week in January that I was to receive a Presidential Citation award for testifying last spring in front of the Senate Criminal Justice Committee. I testified about why I own a handgun and have a concealed handgun licenses (CHL), along with the written individual agreement Southwest Airlines has with their employees that have CHL. The bill I was testifying for is to prevent employers from firing employees, that have a legal Texas CHL, for having a firearm in the employee's car while on company property. My friend Ken, was there to support me and cheer me on! We also attended the gun show on Saturday. I don't think Ken bought anything, but I ordered a new purse as my old leather bag is on it's last legs. Anyway, drop in later to see what interesting things have "popped" into my life. I have uploaded more photos, so you can check them out here.

hugs, Brandi





















No comments: