Monday, December 17, 2007

Christmas Weather

I find it hard to get into the Christmas Spirit without having cold weather. Warm, humid weather belongs in the summer. The weather has been excellent for Christmas shopping lately. Nice cool days, low humidity and almost cloudless skys. But the nice cool days did not stay around for Rebecca's Commencement ceremony from the University of Texas back on the 8th. It was warm and humid. Luke and I had a nice drive to Austin. We picked on each other the whole trip. He had his headset hooked up to his MP3. I tried to keep the volume of my truck's radio low, but when a good song would come on, I would turn it up. This caused Luke to give me a funny look and turn his volume up. I had a hotel room reserved months ago just in case Luke would come. If not, I would sleep on Rebecca's couch. Imagine my surprise, after we had checked into the room, when Luke stated he needed to get back to do his homework. I asked why he didn't bring it with him. He stated it is all on the computer. So it would seem he needs a laptop.

My friend Sara and Josephine met us there, but they were late. Thank God for cell phones as there was around 700 graduates and their families. Finding someone in that crowd without a cell phone would be impossible. The whole ceremony only lasted two hours. They moved those kids across that stage like cattle at an auction. Afterwards, I took photos of Rebecca in her gown. A couple of photos with the state capital in the background, but those didn't turn out good. Check out the photos I have uploaded here. Rebecca had dinner reservations for 9 o'clock. She made the reservations for 8, but we had 10 in our party. Oops. The only way we got to eat was splitting up into two groups. Which suited me fine as I could eat at a different table from my ex and with my friends and Luke. We stayed until the restaurant closed. Luke and I returned to the hotel, only to get our clothes and check out. Three hours later I was home soaking in my tub.

The next night I met my friend, Angel, at her church to see the Christmas musical her granddaughters were in. It was really nice, with church members of all ages in it. I had two vacation days (nights) left to use before January, so I took Monday and Tuesday nights off. Monday night I met Angel again, this time at Conroe High School for the winter concert of the string orchestra. Her son, Tony, plays cello and was a soloist. The orchestra only played 4 songs, so it was over in 30 minutes. I hurried home to get comfortable. I finished my Christmas cards and gift wrapping on Tuesday night. I also did some cleaning for Mom on Tuesday and talked Dad into buying a new toilet. While I vacuumed the floors, he drove into Conroe and made it back with the toilet in good time. But he forgot the wax "donut" seal. Friday morning, after work, I installed the toilet for Dad and also a new wood seat.

Dad's baby sister and her husband drove in Saturday evening. They live in Oregon, but flew to Texas and rented a car to go to their granddaughters college graduation in Longview. Then they came here. Mom and Dad and I had lunch with them on Sunday and supper with them on Monday. I worked Monday night, but saw them again for breakfast Tuesday morning. Then I went home to bed. They spent the day with Mom and Dad and flew out Tuesday evening. Guess I will have to go visit them next summer, as I have never been to see them. So this brings us to the week before Christmas when I have to work 7 days straight of 10 hour shifts with an hour drive to work and an hour home. This puts me in work, sleep, and eat only mode and gives me no time for playing on the Mahindra. Christmas is Tuesday, but I am looking forward to Wednesday when I can go dig in the dirt with my 6520. I will have 10 days to play on the Mahindra, so that makes the 7 straight work days worth it. Stop back by here in a few days to read about what I dug up, tore up, or moved with the Big Red Beast.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

hugs, Brandi

No comments: