Sunday, August 19, 2007

Going West



I have always loved the wide open places of Texas. I don't know why. Maybe it is the good times I had at my Grandparent's farm in Higgins, Texas. Each time I would leave their farm, no matter how old I was, I cried. Even the last time. Well, the last time was when my Uncle Woody died. He owned a boot shop in Higgins. He later moved the shop to Canadian. In 1988, we almost moved up to Higgins. I was going to work in the boot shop and learn how to make boots. I already knew how to repair boots, as each summer I couldn't wait to get to the boot shop on Dad's one week vacation. Uncle Woody would pay my brother and I in hats, boots, and belts. I really fit in repairing boots, as I was left handed and Uncle Woody was also. That helped as he had some left handed leather working tools. He also showed me how to rope, as Dad was right handed and I got everything backwards watching him rope.



Rebecca and I went to West Texas for a week of stress free rest. It was a fast 3 day road trip. It was short because she just got out of her summer semester at UT Austin and she is working. She is now visiting my ex. She starts her final semester on the 29th. Luke stayed home and fed Booger and my ferrets and his cat, Milo. Anyway, we visited Ft. Davis National Historic Site, Davis Mountains State Park & Indian Lodge and McDonald's Observatory.



We also took a side trip to the towns of Marfa, Alpine, and Marathon. All nice places to retire! The closest Mahindra dealer is in Midland, 138 miles away from Ft. Davis. We also visited Rocksprings in the Hill Country. I do plan on buying property south of Rocksprings, some day. The closest Mahindra dealer is a little closer, just 125 miles. It is a little mountainous south of Rocksprings. Well, at least enough for a Texan. Goats and Sheep excel here, but we did see a few cattle and horse ranches. I think it would be fun to raise a few Longhorns out there. Tropical Storm Erin changed some of our plans, as just driving is no fun in the rain. So we spent the last day of vacation around Austin and fixing up Rebecca's apartment. She moved in two weeks ago, but she has been studying the whole time since for final exams. Boxes were still everywhere. She took me to the new designer mall. We just window shopped. After all, why would I spent $600 for a pair of shoes? I have spent that on boots, but the boots will last 10 times longer than a pair of shoes. Besides, boots never go out of style.

Looks like the upper Texas coast will be spared by Hurricane Dean. I was beginning to get concerned. With Hurricane Rita two years ago, I spent a day securing my house and then another day at Mom and Dad's. Dad's house is better than my mobile home to ride out a storm. But Mom and Dad need more help now. They don't like their routine to be upset. I also didn't have a generator then. Now I have a diesel generator for power outages. Only problem is it is so heavy, I use the backhoe on the 6520 to move it in and out of my workshop. I have been meaning to hook up a power transfer box for it. I will have to see about that this week. We didn't get any rain to speak of from Tropical Storm Erin. My gully is still dry. Anyway, I need to sign off now, as it is movie time. Y'all stop back in later to see how we weathered Hurricane Dean.

hugs, Brandi

No comments: